Because I am such a fun guy, I am writing this week’s newsletter while watching the SuperBowl. While I love watching the game, like many marketers, I am most excited about watching the TV Ads.
This week’s book
This week, I read several books, but the one I want to highlight is Dave Gerhardt’s Founder Brand: Turn Your Story into your competitive advantage. In the book, Dave talks about how he helped build the personal brands of such CEOs as David Cancel, the CEO of Drift. His advice and tips, though, it can be used by anyone interested in make themselves stand out in the crowd. Check it out.
Another book was a reread for me. Melissa Brown, who is a member of the CLG Campus, recommended the classic business book the The 7 Habits of Highlight Effective People, which has lots of valuable tips, especially: “Begin with the end in mind. – think about how you would like something to turn out before you get started.”
To do our part in helping people find their next career opportunity, we have launched Free Agents – a place where we help hiring managers find prospective employees. We also have matching on the backend to let companies know who is available. See here (Let me know if you want to be listed too.)
A bunch of rock stars were on the CLG Campus podcast this week
- Scott Brinker, the godfather of Marketing Tech Stacks, discusses Building your Marketing Tech Stack and Designing Your Ecosystem. Listen here.
- Asha May discusses a new framework for CLG and CX. Listen here.
- Jeremiah Owyang, a leading industry analyst based in Silicon Valley who helps his clients solve how new technology connects companies to their customers, and CMO of Rly Network discusses Web3’s impact on Advocacy and Community. Listen here.
Upcoming Live Events on Campus (Usually take place every Wednesday at 12 noon PT / 3 pm ET)
- February 15th and 22nd: We have Barbara Thomas, CAC, CDM, CeM (aka Prof BT) ’s Live Course on February 15th and 22nd “Creating Customer Awards Programs”. Sign up here
- March 1st: We have ✨ Samantha “Venia” Logan Live Workshop: “Impactful Dashboards that sort out your Community Data Firehose.”Sign up here
Upcoming Base Events
- February 21st @ 8 am PT / 11 am ET: You Are The Champion: Using Your Customer Marketing Superpower to Unlock a Super Career Path. Sign up here
- February 28th @ 8 am PT / 11 am ET: The Job is Yours: Gearing Up to Find Your Next Position in Customer Marketing. Sign up here
LinkedIn – Posts that caught my eye:
- Gated or not gated: On the CLG Campus, none of our content is gated, except for our courses (so we can provide feedback to the students and the professors), so I wanted to see what others do. The results: 29% said gated content is effective, 65% said gated content is outdated and 7 percent said they collect leads in other ways. I want to dig more into this topic because I am not a big fan of gated content these days, unless you have people sign up for an event or something.
- Young-Su-Kim comments on the impact of ChatGPT on search engine advertising monetization. Read here.
- Jeroen Kraaijenbrink talks about quickly developing a strategy in 9 steps. Read here.
News You Can Use
- CMO taking Fractional Roles: As part of the moonlighting economy, C-level executives are taking on multiple gigs. You can read about why CMOs are doing this here in the Morning Marketing Brew or about why companies are hiring fractional leaders in Forbes.
- Value Pricing: Kyle Poyar talks about value pricing here. As customer marketers and success folks, we should understand the different options for pricing our offerings.
- Generative AI wars: First, a refresher on what Generative AI means: McKinsey has a great article defining this (see here), but their definition is: Generative artificial intelligence (AI) describes algorithms (such as ChatGPT) that can be used to create new content, including audio, code, images, text, simulations, and videos. Recent new breakthroughs in the field have the potential to drastically change the way we approach content creation. It’s important to note that most people, however, don’t know what ChatGPT is.
The Verge does a good job talking about the upcoming battle in this area between Microsoft and Google. Read here.
That’s it for now. If you have suggestions for this newsletter or the CLG Campus, contact me at email@example.com or just send a message to me on Campus.
Have a great week!